Unlike most traditional forms of marketing – billboards, print ads, press releases – social media marketing is a two-way street. It’s not enough to just set up social media profiles and gain a large number of followers. To see success in social media marketing, you need to interact with your online community on a consistent basis.
“The most successful marketer becomes part of the lives of their followers. They follow back. They wish happy birthday. They handle problems their customers have with products or service. They grow their businesses and brands by involving themselves in their own communities.” – Marsha Collier, speaker and business author
So make sure you are interacting with your audience, instead of just “broadcasting” your marketing message:
- Post content that helps your audience. Be consistent in posting that content (blog at least once a week, post to your Facebook Page 1-2 times a day, send out 5-10 Tweets per day, etc)
- Respond to questions and comments in a timely manner (taking into account the platform you are using- i.e. Twitter followers generally expect a quicker response than Facebook Fans)
- Ask your followers how you can help them: post questions on topics that interest your followers, ask for their feedback/input on new products
- Show the “human” side of your business occasionally: post photos (of you, your employees, your office) on your blog and social media sites; share some posts that are more “personal” (your favorite quotes or books, milestones in your business, local/community events, etc)
- Share content from your customers’ site: Retweets, blog posts, milestones/announcements, new products
Take these ideas, come up with a few of your own and make sure you stay involved in your online communities. Practice the “social” part of your social media marketing strategy.
Quote originally posted at www.mirnabard.com 99 Favorite Social Media Quotes and Tips